Oakland — which lost nearly 9,000 residents between 2000 and 2010 — has rebounded and added over 5 percent of the region’s population growth since 2010.
Naturally, more and more people are moving to or visiting Oakland, whether for the lifestyle or the industry. While Oakland Public Works is trying to adapt to the growing population, parking spots are still hard to come by.
Best Oakland Parking Tips
- If you’re looking for street parking, you might be forced to park fairly far away and trek to your destination.
- While most main streets have parking meters, don’t hesitate to explore residential streets nearby, which often offer free parking.
- Pay attention to curb colors to avoid unexpected parking tickets:
- Red – No parking zones, typically located near fire hydrants, bus stops, and the edge of driveways
- White – 5 minute parking limit for passenger loading/unloading, utilized for buildings like hospitals, restaurants with 100+ seats, government buildings, and places of worship
- Green – Short-term parking that shouldn’t exceed 10 minutes, often located in front of dry cleaners, florists, shoe repair shops, and ATM machines
- Yellow – Commercial loading and unloading, where violators will be cited and sometimes even towed
- Blue – Parking for individuals with disabilities, in effect 24/7 with the exception of street cleaning
- If your car is booted, call the Help Center (phone number will be on ticket, located on windshield). You can pay over the phone. After which you will be provided with a six-digit code, which will release the boot.
- If your car is towed, call (510) 635-3211 or visit http://www.abimpound.com./towed.html to confirm and settle any fines or tickets. A car is subject to be towed when:
- boot fines and tickets are not settled
- a plate tag has been expired for 6+ months
- a vehicle has unpaid tickets amounting to at least $2,500
- a vehicle has 5+ unpaid California tickets
Top Oakland Attractions
- Grand Lake Farmers Market, with over 44 local farmers, 30 specialty food vendors, and many local artisans
- Jack London Square, home to a number of shops, restaurants, and entertainment on the waterfront
- Blue Bottle Coffee, an Oakland, Brooklyn, and LA-based coffee roaster with some of the most popular coffee in San Francisco
Best Oakland Parking Resources
- City of Oakland – find Oakland parking news and updates
- SF Todo Parking Strategies – tips for parking in SF, including Oakland